Monday, June 15, 2015

Lewis and Clark Crusher: Tyler’s Race Report + Additional MTB musings



Guest blogger: Tyler Loewens

The Lewis and Clark Marathon MTB race was a complete 180° polar opposite experience when compared to the Platte River Marathon MTB race (report found here). From what I can tell this was due to three main things: 1) Better gearing 2) Better in-race nutrition 3) Course more suited to my growing skillset. At the end of this shindig I am also going to touch on my ever-changing impression of what MTB is best suited to my needs (previous report found here), as well as some current gear changes needed.


Gearing:

Holy hell does gearing make a big difference when you are running a 1 by setup! Out at Platte I was running a 1 X 9 with a 34 tooth front chainring, and an 11-32 cassette. After that terrible experience I decided to change to a much smaller front chainring in anticipation of the L&C race which is supposed to have steeper climbing.
New 1X10 X7 drivetrain

After doing some quick research I found that the 30 tooth chainring was the smallest I could go on a 104 BCD crank without being a huge PITA. Well it turns out that 30 tooth front chainring would no longer work with my chain guide, so now I had a decision to make. Sure I was running a narrow wide front chainring, however my 9 speed XT rear derailleur was built prior to clutch-type technology so would the chain stay on over rough stuff? Well I put the 30 tooth front chainring on without the chain guide, and rode the bike up and down the neighborhood. Nothing immediately fell off so I did the “ass-drop” test and sure as toddlers are adverse to bedtime, that chain popped right off. Eff.

So I went digging through my box of rear derailleurs and noticed my 10 speed X7 type 2 RD hanging out. Then I notice I still have an 11-32 10 speed cassette as well! Both of these were from my cross bike which I just switched to 11 speed. Golden. I ordered an X7 shifter and the cheapest 10 speed chain I could find. Once those arrived I put it all together and hello 2011, Tyler has arrived! I now had a 1X10 drivetrain without a chain guide that worked!

Sure looks more modern without the chain guide


So that was a long build-up to say that the new 30/32 tooth low gear combination was instrumental in my success at the L&C race. I could actually sit and spin a gear up tough climbs that did not have my lower back tight with fatigue after only an hour. Not to mention I now had that extra gear in the rear cassette that helped make the gear jumps that much more comfortable. On top of that the X7 shifter can dump 5 gears at a time, so I can effectively sweep the cassette in two shifts! I did this many times transitioning from a flat-out fast section to a steep rooty climb. So choice.

Better in-race nutrition:

I have always struggled with in-race nutrition that would not make my stomach a little sick. This time around I took a chance and brought along two PowerBar energy Blends that look much like the applesauce packets my 2 year old loves.

After the second lap I figured out that the feed zone was the best place for me to get some sort of food down. The second lap I had a Hammer Nutrition gel (what I normally use), and was OK. The third lap I slammed one of these PowerBar energy blends and wow, what a taste difference! For a blended energy product it actually tasted like real food! Talk about a pick me up. On the fourth lap I took another Hamer Nutrition gel and felt my stomach start the downward spiral, so the next lap I took my second energy blend and again was happy for some real food. After that second blend my stomach turned around and I felt good the rest of the race! (even the disgusting energy blend that tasted like coconut was a good boost for me)

I was feeling so good that on the 6th lap I was singing to myself and other racers. I came upon two guys riding a good pace and sang “I love the fishes cause their so delicious”, and instead of them finishing the song they stopped and looked back at me in unison like I was crazy. Not at all what I was intending, however they got off the course and let me by which was super classy of them (or maybe they were just hoping I didn’t go crazy and eat my own fecal matter in front of them). Of course I finished the song after passing.


For sports drink I was again using Skratch labs in my bottles. Again I used three different flavors so I could have that little mental joy when I grabbed a new one “Ooo, Pineapple!” Again I found myself wishing for a second bottle mount as I would lose a good 10 to 20 seconds per lap getting a new bottle out.

Course more suited to my growing skillset:

As this is only my second actual MTB race, it is absolutely still too early to understand which type of course will really suit my skills. With that in mind I can tell you that Lewis and Clark suits me much more than Platte.

A lap of the Platte race course starts off with a sustained and fairly steep doubletrack climb that can be loose in a few spots. A lap of Lewis and Clark (besides the start on Monument Road) starts off with a super fun and fast descent that us slow-pokes go down in the 3+ minute zone (fast guys going in under 2 and a half minutes!!). On top of that, L&C’s climbs are a bit shorter and more punchy which is more suited to my “yes I would like another beer” rear end. L&C to me just feels like it has a flow that one can really get into.

Strava Ride details for my race


Lewis and Clark is where a mountain bike truly has a strong advantage over a cyclocross bike. Many of you will remember how handily my brother (Travis Loewens) smoked me in the Platte marathon race on his cyclocross bike. In the L&C race I was able to catch Travis on the first descent with ease, even if he had gapped me by over 30 seconds prior to it. After the 3rd lap I had followed Travis up Never-Rest (both of us off the bikes pushing), and then saw him in the feed zone getting something out of his cooler (he runs a bladder instead of bottles, so it must have been food).

Strava elevation profile for my race

I knew this was my opportunity to put some time into him and force him to expend more energy on the climbs to catch me, so I quickly grabbed a bottle and food and headed off to the course. I heard him say something along the lines of “I love you, enjoy your ride, unicorns make the best sandwiches” (could have been something derogatory too….shrug), and I was off. I let it rip as much as I was comfortable with and set my fastest time on that descent for this race. We only saw each other in passing on the course going opposite directions the rest of the race. I just forced myself to keep a steady climbing pace, and then really concentrate on using the rooty descents to my advantage. If Travis had an actual MTB at this race, the outcome would have been different for sure.

Those three things together (better gearing, better nutrition, and better course) added up to me coming in 3rd place in my age group (ages 14-39 CAT 1,2,3) and 5th place overall Marathon. I cannot describe how good I felt about having that much more of an enjoyable race.

Third place!

So how did the old gal (my Trek 69er) do on Lewis and Clark? Surprisingly well! There are two things I need to change:

I am using the Ergon GS2 grips which have a small integrated bar-end, and an ergonomic shape to the grip itself. While I really love the small bar-ends for a different hand position when climbing in my lowest gear, that ergonomic grip shape is downright dangerous in technical descending. The little angled shape prevents your hands from getting all the way around the grips which makes it very hard to hold on when bombing down technical singletrack that is throwing your hardtail bike all over the place. Time to change those out to something else. Suggestions?


I am going to miss those bar ends
The ergonomic part of the grip hinders your control



I am still using the origial Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic brakes that came with the bike in 2009. Those of you that know about the Avid brake reputations will already be asking me why I haven’t changed already. While these brakes always stopped me in time (and in super noisy fashion), I always had to use two fingers on each lever. Even when I just wanted to scrub a little speed, one finger would not do it. Maybe I need to bleed and adjust them…maybe I need new pads….maybe I should just ditch these brakes for something like an SLX brake with the icetech rotors. Suggestions?

These brakes have got to go


While I still would have wanted a more stable descending bike overall, and more traction climbing over roots (my one wreck was in slow motion on a root that slipped my rear wheel off to the side and forced me into a tree), I am now starting to amend my assumption that I really need a full suspension bike. If anything a full 29er hardtail with a forgiving backside might be the cats meow. What I really need to do is get a full suspension bike next to a 29er hard tail for a demo on the same day same course. Either way I am pretty sold on a 1 by setup for my next bike. 

My only mark from the wreck


Unfortunately there was a wedding scheduled at the Lewis and Clark monument that same day, so all of us racers had to park on the road. I got the Bike Way truck their early enough to get an OK spot, however the race organizers had such a good setup near the finish line that we hardly used our own tent at all. Oh well, it is still nice to have the tools and a bike stand available if you need it.

You can see our pop-up tent in the background in orange....pretty close to the registration tent really

So what's next this season for me? The Odin's Revenge Gravel Race Long course. This is about 180 miles of gorgeous and super challenging gravel and B roads in middle Nebraska. I am crossing my toes that the rain they keep getting out their stops soon, otherwise I will be really wishing for some bigger tires than my 700X40's. 

Hope you enjoy reading! As always feel free to leave a message below.



No comments:

Post a Comment