Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day Weekend

Safety is important when riding your motorized scooter.
What a weekend! I finally got a chance to do the Greenstreet Velo Saturday morning ride for the first time. I've been meaning to make this ride all season and I've been prevented for one reason or another every time. Being my first time, I wasn't sure what to expect as far as pace or distance. I know the route tends to be different most weeks, but it appears to be 40-50 miles most weeks.

We ended up riding towards Glenwood with Jakob intending to turn around after an hour or so and Rafal and Noah intending to do a much longer ride. I figured I'd get a three hour ride in, so I was going to ride through Glenwood and then head north to head back home. Once Jakob turned around (with a few others) Rafal warned me that the road north of Glenwood was not the best road to take due to heavy truck traffic currently taking place, so I changed my plan to ride to Plattsmouth with Rafal and Noah before heading home.

However, getting to Plattsmouth, I realized that I would probably have to ride north on Highway 75 which I've never done and am not familiar with the safety of doing so. So I figured, "It's only another 14 miles to Louisville. May as well keep going with Rafal and Noah."  So what I expected to be a three-ish hour ride, turned into a four and a half hour ride.

The nice thing is that, though I was certainly tired when I got home, I never felt totally empty and my legs felt pretty decent for the entire ride. Aside from my training, much of that has to be due to the nice even pace set by Rafal and Noah. It wasn't slow by any means, but those guys ride so smoothly on a long ride, it's easier to stick with them and not have to use a bunch of extra energy trying to match an acceleration on every upturn of the road.

We wrapped the weekend up with a little family shin dig at our house on Memorial Day. It's become a tradition for us to host the party and each year it gets a little better. We lucked out with some wonderful weather that allowed me to get a few hours worth of yard work done to make the yard a more enjoyable place to hang out in. I even had a chance to go get a couple laps in at Lewis & Clark before the party. Rachel kicked ass getting the food and the house read during the last week or so and the party was a ton of fun and next year promises to be fun again! Who knows, maybe Brigham will finally be walking by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment